My first attempt at a fishing "short".

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Saint San Juan... Dressed in leather.

Often times when one fishes a river that they don't spend much time on a pitstop in a local fly shop can be extremely helpful.  I recently attended the Orvis Guide Rendezvous is Missoula (...and had a great time) and headed up to Criag to fish the Missouri on the way home.  As my options are usually Yellowstone or Madison, I stopped into Headhunters to grab a shuttle and a handful of any fly that the folks in the shop said would work.  I figured it couldn't hurt.  That is when I was introduced to the leather san juan worm.  Actually, Kyle Nelson picked up a few, and yes, they worked.  The materials are cheap, durable, move great in the water, and easy to tie with, so I've decided to whip up a few of my own.   I stopped by a leather shop here in town and they were glad to give me a few scraps for free.  Here are a few of the initial trials:





I can't wait to get 'em wet!

No comments:

Post a Comment