My first attempt at a fishing "short".

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Loop Knots for Nymphing #2: Perfection

This is how I tie on a nymph using a Perfection Loop versus a Non-Slip End Loop.  It's easier, faster, and just as strong.  As an added bonus, the end result produces a smaller knot and it's easier to control the size of your loop.  I've even used it for streamers when I'm changing flies often to find the one the fish like.  I use this loop for a dropper from a nymph as well as for something like an emerger tied behind a dry fly.  Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Great...makes me want to go fishin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. I have always used a clinch or improved clinch knot. One question, wouldn't the same "drift" theory apply to the upper fly in a double-nymph situation? I think that maybe the perfection loop should be used on both flies when tying on two sub-surface flies. Have you ever tried this? Does it cause a negative hinge effect when casting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great question BigSky. I have thought about tying the top fly using the same technique, and will still do so if I planned on just tying on one nymph (rarely) and then later decided to tie on a dropper. I certainly don't think it would hurt anything to use this technique for both nymphs. However, since the top nymph is inhibited from floating freely by the second nymph, it may sit in line with the tippet and defeat the purpose. I normally tie my first nymph on with a clinch but I may try the double perfection this weekend. I'll let you know if I have any trouble with more frequent knots, etc. Thanks for the comment! Look for my next post on pre-rigged double nymph storage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The double perfection loop works great and I fished it this last weekend on the Madison in 30 mph wind gusts and had no trouble with knots...that weren't due to the wind! Caught some fish and had a great time. I'm faster at tying the perfection loop now than I am at the clinch, or any other knot for that matter...So I'm using that knot almost exclusively. Thanks for the comment and suggestion!

    ReplyDelete